Week #2 – Bricked laptop, testing functions and a little local community building

The past week was my second one at GSoC 13.

To be honest, as compared to the first week, this week was slow. I lost the use of laptop, for some hitherto unknown reasons. It was a Dell Vostro 1520, which I was using for almost 4 years now. I still have no clue as to what happened, but I suspect a motherboard failure here (there was no LED activity at all).
So I spent the entire weekend fretting over that.
Luckily I now have access to another machine (a better one when it comes to specs) with almost everything I will be needing. I installed Ubuntu, instead of my usual Debian, to save time in configuring. I figure I have everything that’s needed now ( git repos, tool chains, ssh keys to devices, etc etc)

Before all of these distractions, I was working on setting up the basics for the blink code. Me and Parav have divided the work amongst ourselves for the blink part. I would be taking care of all the functions that will be required for accessing /sys/ as well as stuff like delay, etc. Also, communication over ssh is something else that I am taking care of.
Parav is working on the pin_mux as well as the Makefile. The makfile part is pretty cool. The aim is to enable anyone to just download the libraries and makefile and let them write code using the arduino like functions in their own IDE ( Emacs, Vim, etc). So basically this is for folks who are not exactly newb to programming in general, but are new to Embedded Linux and the BBB.

The testing part which I mentioned in my last post was good. I found out a few minor errors I’d done in my previous code ( value to be passed to the functions should be a char[] instead of int, among other things). Also, I pushed it here. If anyone would like to test the code, you can just clone the repo, setup ssh keys for your BBB using the instructions in the bash file. And run it as ./send_exec generic_function.c
The code will compile, upload and execute. Right now I have enough functionality to turn on/off a usr_led, export/unexport a gpio pin and set/get its value, direction, etc.
So the next thing I will be working on is the delay function which will allow me to blink a LED. I hope to get this up and running by Wednesday (for the weekly meeting).  Once we have the core functionality up, we can tackle bigger things like pwm, adc, etc.

There exists an Internet of Things meetup in my city (Pune, IN), where Arduino hackers meet to work on awesome projects.
BLOG GitHub
Most of the projects that are done here using the Arduino. But we also have a few Raspberry Pi enthusiasts amongst us.
So this week I gave a small demo of the BeagleBone Black (since I got it last week) and we had a nice discussion about the features of the Black, and the differences between the Arduino, Pi and the Black. I also talked about the userspace-arduino project and how we can use the same IDE and the same code/libraries for programming on the Black.
Some photos

Till next week !

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s